Grace Lutheran began with a request in the early 1920's for ministry in the community of Fairbury. In the fall of 1923, Pastor Korbitz began a survey of need that culminated in the formation of a congregation in 1923 and the construction of the first chapel in was completed on the lost south of the current location in 1924. The growth of the congregation led to the construction of the sanctuary of our current facilities dedicated in 1950. The dual parish of Trinity Gladsone and Trinity Gilead disbanded in 1965 and 72 members of those congregations joined Grace and the cemetery of Trinity which is now Grace Lutheran Cemetery west of Gladstone became part of the facilties of Grace Lutheran Church. With the ongoing emphasis on education, the current north wing was added in 1967. In the 1970's the weekly radio live broadcast of the 8:30 service was added and our current pipe organ was installed in 1978 in the commitment to quality worship services.
As the congreation is served by God through Word and Sacrament, the members serve one another, the community and the next generation through the calling of Ministers of the Gospel (Pastors) and Ministers of Education. Currently the congregation is served by Charles Schmidt, pastor: Lynne Blackwell, parish secretary/treasurer; and Brenda Schmidt parish educator. (See information below.)
Through worship, education and service opportunities, Grace is a vibrant congregation of believers gathered around Word and Sacrament.
Grace is closely tied to our sister congregation of Trinity Lutheran Church of Jansen. Sunday services are conducted at Trinity at 8:00a.m. with Pastor Beyer as liturgist and preacher. For all other services and questions about Trinity, please call 402-729-5163.
Pastor Schmidt has served Grace since 1987 and holds Masters degrees in Religion and Family Life Education. He is a graduate of Concordia University-Seward and Concordia Seminary-Ft. Wayne.
He serves Grace in every aspect of Worship, Pastoral Care, Youth, and Education.
He currently serves the community as treasurer of the Jefferson County Ministerial Association and conducts services and Bible studies at Jefferson County Law Enforcement Center, Cederwood, Gardenside, Fairbury Gardens, and Heritage.
Pastor Schmidt currently serves the LCMS as Circuit Visitor and Southeast Nebraska Coordinator for Post Seminary Applied Learning and Suppport.
Brenda Schmidt has served Grace as Parish Educator since 1999 and holds a Bachelors of Science in Education from Concordia University-Seward.
She serves Grace as director of Children's Education Ministries, Children's Choirs and Women's Ministries.
She served the Fairbury and surrounding School Districts as substitue teacher from 1987 until her service at Grace became more demanding.
Brenda currently serves the LCMS as southeast Nebraska Pastors' Wives Coordinator for Post Seminary Applied Learning and Supplrt.
Lynne Blackwell has served Grace as Secretary/Treasurer since 2002.
She serves Grace as Office Secretary responsible for schedules, publications, membership records, and receptionist. She also serves as congregational treasurer responsible for record keeping, deposit records and disbursements of funds.
She comes to Grace having served the community in Office Business and Legal management and also Financial institutional work.